Cleaning TipsInexpensive Ways to Keep it Clean
- To remove scuff marks on vinyl floors: cut a hole in a tennis ball and put it on the end of a broomstick and rub over marks.
- To get spotless windows and mirrors without chemicals: use a solution of water and regular vinegar (abut 1/2 cup of vinegar to 2 cups of water); spray and wipe.
- Dust with a paintbrush to get to those hard-to-reach door jambs.
- To reduce the smell of trash in small wastebaskets: fill wastebasket with about 1/2 cup of dry potpourri mixture. Replenish as needed.
- Clean ceramic tile with a solution of 1/4 cup of baking soda; 1/2 cup white vinegar and 1 cup of ammonia to one gallon warm water. Be sure to wear rubber gloves as this solution is harsh.
- To clean a microwave, boil a solution of 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of water in the microwave. It will loosen splattered-on food and deodorize.
- To deodorize the kitchen drain, pour a cup of baking soda down the drain once a week. Flush with hot water.
- To keep your refrigerator smelling fresh, dampen a cotton ball with vanilla flavoring and place in the back corner of your fridge. It soaks up the smell a fridge can sometimes get.
- Out of toilet bowl cleaner? Drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets, wait 20 minutes, brush and flush.